Sunday 2 October 2011

Mean Girls

This may well be where my non-bias approach to reviewing ends because I do not now if I will be able to sit through this film without hating every moment. That's because this time I get to review the chick-flick Mean Girls. Well then lets get this train wreck going.

I guess the idea at the beginning is a pretty good one. A 16 year old girl whose spent her life being home-schooled by her parents in Africa begins her first day of real school. This also sets up the exact target audience of the film. We've already established that it's a chick-flick and now that it's also a teenage one.

The movie begins with a strong start using some good comedy and while the different groups of the school are done over the top it works well enough to give comedy value without being annoying (at least not at the point where I am writing this) and all the actors seem to have been well picked to play their specific personality perfectly.

The movie tilts slightly more towards the girly side around the middle but still manages to stay funny. And there is one particular scene around this part that i'm sure any men that decide or are dragged into watching this will enjoy (you'll know it when you see it). Then it gets to what I guess is meant to be the climax which becomes all about feelings and such as I guess you'd expect in this genre but it still keeps the comedy going if at a somewhat less amount.

I've mentioned it several times and it's all i've really gone on about but thats all there is too it. The thing that makes this film any good is the comedy in it. You can't really go on the acting because it's all so heavily set on the different cliques of the highschool that acting becomes almost unnoticeable. The camera work, editing, music and directing are all your standard so there isn't much to say about that either.

Overall I was able to actually enjoy enough of this movie to get by but it really isn't my type of movie. Still I guess if you're into chick-flicks then you can guess it's for you. And for those of you who aren't but get dragged into watching it don't despair it isn't that bad and you might even enjoy it.

Personal Score: 5/10
Unbiased Score: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment